Find Oregon icon; Meet Oregon icon; Experience Oregon icon; Play Oregon icon Almanac Notable Oregonians Cultural exhibits FunStuff games and more

How do I...?

 

Facebook and e-mail icons Facebook Contact us

Home > National > Oregon's Indian Tribes > Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation

Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation

A teepee at the Museum at Tamástslikt Cultural Institute on the Umatilla Indian Reservation. (Scenic photo No. umaDA0007)

A teepee at the Museum at Tamástslikt Cultural Institute on the Umatilla Indian Reservation. (Scenic photo No. umaDA0007)

Next tribe

 

Contact
Address: 46411 Ti’mine Way, Pendleton 97801
Phone: 541-276-3165
E-mail: info@ctuir.org
Web: www.ctuir.org


About
Treaty Date: June 9, 1855; 12 Stat. 945
Number of Members: 2,893
Land Base Acreage: 172,000 acres
Number of people employed by the Tribes: 1,734


Economy
 Prior to the 1855 Treaty, the Tribes’ economy consisted primarily of intertribal trade, livestock, trade with fur companies, hunting, fishing and gathering. Today, the economy includes agriculture, livestock, tourism, a travel plaza, grain elevator, the Wildhorse Resort (casino, hotel, RV Park, golf course), Tamástslikt Cultural Institute, Cayuse Technologies, and Coyote Business Park, a 520 acre commercial and light industrial business development on Interstate 84. The reservation is also home to the Umatilla National Forest Supervisor’s Office.


Points of interest
Tamástslikt Cultural Institute, Wildhorse Resort & Casino, Wildhorse Golf Course, Nix-yá-wii Warriors Memorial, Crow’s Shadow Institute of the Arts, Indian Lake Recreation Area, seasonal upland gamebird and turkey hunting.


Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation Map

History and culture
Three tribes make up the CTUIR: Cayuse, Umatilla, and Walla Walla. They have lived on the Columbia River Plateau for over 10,000 years, an area of about 6.4 million acres in what is now northeastern Oregon and southeastern Washington. In 1855, the tribes and the United States Government negotiated a treaty in which the tribes ceded 6.4 million acres of land in exchange for reservation land. The CTUIR reserved rights in the treaty, including fishing and hunting rights and the right to gather traditional foods and medicines on public lands within the ceded areas.

 

The traditional religion of the tribes is called “Washat” or “Seven Drums.” Native languages are still spoken by some and a language preservation program is helping to re-establish the languages.


Tribal court
Tribal Judge William Johnson, 46411 Ti’mine Way, Pendleton 97801, 541-276-2046


Tribal council
2011-2013: Les Minthorn, Chairman; Aaron Hines, General Council Chairman; Leo Stewart, Vice-Chairman; Rosenda Shippentower, Treasurer; N. Kathryn Brigham, Secretary; Members: Fred Hill Sr., Armand Minthorn, Bob Shippentower and Woodrow Star

 

Next tribe