Cow Creek Band of Umpqua Tribe of Indians
Address: 2371 NE Stephens St., Suite 100, Roseburg 97470
Treaty Date: September 19, 1853
Restoration Date: December 29, 1982
Number of Members: 1,536
Land Base Acreage: 1,840 acres (in trust)
Number of people employed by the Tribe: 1,100
The Cow Creeks were restored without reservation land in 1982. All land held by the tribe has been by purchase. The tribe’s main economy is dependent upon revenues generated from its Seven Feathers Casino Resort in Canyonville. The Resort features a casino, hotels, restaurants and entertainment venues. Several other businesses have been acquired in their economic diversification program. Since Recognition, the tribe has developed housing, education and social services programs, business corporations, a utility cooperative, a charitable foundation, a tribal court system, and is one of the largest employers in Douglas County.
Points of interest
Oregon’s Interstate-5 passes through Canyonville and the heart of Cow Creek’s homeland and the Seven Feathers Resort. The area is one of natural beauty and includes the Umpqua Rivers, the Cascade Mountains, the Pacific Ocean and dunes and a growing wine industry.
History and culture
The Cow Creeks lived between the Cascade and Coast Ranges in southwestern Oregon, along the South Umpqua River. They hunted deer and elk and fished silver salmon and steelhead as far north as the Columbia River, east to Crater Lake, and south to the Klamath Marsh.
Except for the purpose of the Termination Act in 1954, which called for the immediate termination of federal relations with more than 60 tribes in western Oregon, the Cow Creek’s Treaty of 1853 was ignored by the U.S. government for over 128 years until Federal Recognition in 1982.
Tribal Judge Ronald Yockim, 2371 NE Stephens St., Suite 100, Roseburg 97470; 541-672-9405
2012-2015: Chairman Dan Courtney; Vice Chairman Gary Jackson; Secretary Yvonne McCafferty; Treasurer Robert Van Norman; Council: Jessica Bochart, Tom Cox, Robert Estabrook, Steve Jackson, Shirley Roane, George T. Rondeau, and Tom Rondeau, Sr.